The Hawai`i Women’s Legal Foundation works to empower and to preserve the legal rights of women and children in Hawai`i as well as to advance women in the legal profession. Through strategic grants, HWLF exerts a powerful and positive impact in our community.
The Hawai`i Women’s Legal Foundation (HWLF), formerly known as the Hawai`i Women Lawyers Foundation, was established in 1982 as an offshoot of Hawai`i Women Lawyers (HWL). The women who had founded Hawai`i Women Lawyers saw the necessity of creating an entity that would have many of the same goals and ideals as HWL, but which would be able to raise funds as a nonprofit entity for the common goals of empowering and preserving the legal rights of women and children and the advancement of women in the legal profession.
Over the years, HWLF has grown its endowment to almost a million dollars through its fundraising activities and events while at the same time distributing funds to worthy Hawai`i organizations who meet its mission. (See our Grants page for a partial list of grantees.)
In addition, HWLF has combined two special funds established to benefit projects supporting our mission.
- The Nancy J. Stivers Memorial Fund honors the late Nancy J. Stivers, HWLF’s first president. Active in the struggle for women’s rights and for the reformation of Hawai`i’s rape and sex abuse laws, she was a leader in the successful effort to gain admission of women into “men-only” clubs.
- The C. Frederick Schutte Fund honors the memory of the late Fred Schutte, a long-standing supporter and benefactor of HWLF.
A list of our current and past presidents is representative of the remarkable diversity, strength, talent, and commitment of HWLF within the community.
Donating is Now Easy with PayPal
PayPal is the newest way to donate to the Hawaii Women’s Legal Foundation. To make an online donation via PayPal, please click on the icon below.
SAVE THE DATE! Sat. 10/1/2016 is the next Gala Fundraiser!
Save the date! The next FUNdraiser is Saturday, October 1, 2016, at 5:30 p.m. at the Tapa Ballroom at the Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort.
More information to come!
Enjoy a show full of local legal, community, and business stars!
Finish your Christmas shopping at the Silent Auction & Wine Reception!
Imbibe, shop, eat, laugh, and dance, knowing that all that legal fun contributes (100% of net proceeds!) to extremely worthy local grassroots organizations that accomplish vital work…
- to help Hawai`i’s women and children in need and
- to further the status of women in the legal profession.
- Read examples of the great work grantees do.
Save the date!
“BOOTS & BLING: A Country Western Soiree” was a success!
Our 2015 fundraiser was a great success thanks to our many supporters and sponsors! See our Fundraisers/Donate tab for highlights and photos!