The Hawai`i Women’s Legal Foundation works to empower and to preserve the legal rights of women and children in Hawai`i as well as to advance women in the legal profession. Through strategic grants, HWLF exerts a powerful and positive impact in our community.
The Hawai`i Women’s Legal Foundation (HWLF), formerly known as the Hawai`i Women Lawyers Foundation, was established in 1982 as an offshoot of Hawai`i Women Lawyers (HWL). The women who had founded Hawai`i Women Lawyers saw the necessity of creating an entity that would have many of the same goals and ideals as HWL, but which would be able to raise funds as a nonprofit entity for the common goals of empowering and preserving the legal rights of women and children and the advancement of women in the legal profession.
Over the years, HWLF has grown its endowment to almost a million dollars through its fundraising activities and events while at the same time distributing funds to worthy Hawai`i organizations who meet its mission. (See our Grants page for a partial list of grantees.)
In addition, HWLF has combined two special funds established to benefit projects supporting our mission.
- The Nancy J. Stivers Memorial Fund honors the late Nancy J. Stivers, HWLF’s first president. Active in the struggle for women’s rights and for the reformation of Hawai`i’s rape and sex abuse laws, she was a leader in the successful effort to gain admission of women into “men-only” clubs.
- The C. Frederick Schutte Fund honors the memory of the late Fred Schutte, a long-standing supporter and benefactor of HWLF.
A list of our current and past presidents is representative of the remarkable diversity, strength, talent, and commitment of HWLF within the community.
Donating is Now Easy with PayPal
PayPal is the newest way to donate to the Hawaii Women’s Legal Foundation. To make an online donation via PayPal, please click on the icon below.
SAVE THE DATE! “Hollywood: A Night of Stars” will scintillate on 9/20/14!
There is FUN in FUNdraising! Join us at our next gala fundraiser on Saturday, September 20, 2014, 5:30pm, at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in the Tapa Ballroom.
Come and enjoy legal professionals-stars as they shine in the Talent Show!
Sparkle brightly and come dressed to impress—perhaps as your favorite celebrity!!
Finish your Christmas shopping at the Silent Auction/wine reception with live jazz music!
To donate to the Silent Auction, please click here.
Table & Ticket Reservations:
- Order tables or tickets using the HWLF 2014 Fundraiser Reservation Form.
- To fill out the form within Adobe Acrobat Reader, please right-click the link to the form, “save as” to your computer, then open the downloaded form from your computer. Remember to save the form after filling it out. Please submit the form via email (filled–and saved–PDF file) or mail (printed form). Mahalo!
- Individual seats may now be purchased online via PayPal. (Click the PayPal “Donate” button below. Note: Tables aren’t sold through PayPal due to an additional fee.)
- As always, tables, individual seats, and donations may also be made via check or credit card using the Fundraiser Reservation Form.
- Note: Adobe Acrobat Reader is a free download available here.